Hello,

I came to the misc@ list from Journal links just to see what is the real
discussion about RMS and OpenBSD.
>From the start I have to tell the list that I'm sad. I have read sad things and
now I think I should not read those things. In fact someone should put a waring
label like "Read with caution" or "Rude language and affecting text inside".

Normally, I am just a common user of OpenBSD and I know that the project runs
with some ideas and some peopel which I respect and I think they are good for
the purpose of the project. What I will say next should be taken as an user
feedback and nothing more.

A. "License" thing

Once I asked a lawyer why do people need lawyers in court since we have very
clear laws state the rules for us.
The man was in difficulty to answer, but eventually he tried and told me that
the laws are not very clear like I used to think.
Of course, the next question was why don't you make them clear... this way you
know when some did something wrong and you know what the punishment is.
This time the man was in real trouble answering me and he looked at me and
said: "I really don't see what you are trying to find out, but what I've
learned in school is that the law is always questionable. As a lawyer, it is
your job to use it in your client advantage."
Later, I found out that our human language is too weak to define laws in
absolute and clear terms.
Having this said, I have read the BSD licence. Basically I understood that you
can do anything with the code, the only request is to put the copyright text
inside the source code files. ( If what I understood is not right, maybe some
details and examples can be added to the web page.)
The GPL licence I never got with it to some understanding. I thing it is very
confusing and I was lost in many DOs and DON'Ts. I don't know what GPL allows
you and what it doesn't. Basically, I like an example with variations.

Of course you need licences, but don't try to be so absolute on defining them
because you can't. I think the same applies to "free", "open", etc.

B. Including of non-free software

As far as I know, the base of OpenBSD is clear from non-free software. Then we
have the ports collection, the root of RMS frustration. As an OpenBSD user I
saw a clear delimitation between the base of OpenBSD and the rest. I got this
feeling from FAQ: i know that ports are not the goal of the project, they are
not going thru the same audit, you will not have support . I got the collection
almost as a different project.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html

I sense the ports as a help to manage using what you have. I never felt that
OpenBSD is encouraging the use of non-free or propietary software. It was the
contrary, the FAQ tells you somehow how the things are. But no sign of
encouraging.

C. The language

I know that OpenBSD people are putting much effort and many things into the
project and I think they know better what things should be done. But it is very
hard for me to understand and to accept some of the comments I've read on the
list. I know, maybe nobody will care but I have said this is just a feedback.
Try to look back on your messages and re-read them. Awful. I don't know how
this started, but what came next was just a cheap show. A show that I think it
was very funny and welcome by the opponents of the open source projects. Both
sides started to used stupid and out of context words. Nothing was achieved,
just insults and no productive discussion. I think the pressure of working and
maybe the New Year come generated this but I like to think you all can do more
than this. More good I mean, not more discussions like this.
I you felt that RMS did something not appropiate for the project, you should
have him contacted in private and clear all the confusion.

D. The PR thing

>From what I know, OpenBSD is not doing a PR (Public Relation) thing, I mean
there is no such a big activity to make OpenBSD popular like you can see on
other projects. I got the idea that the OS is done for the developers own
purposes, but if you like it you can use it and help in many ways.
If RMS came up with some statements, then the proper answer should have been "
Dear Mr. RMS, you are not so well informed about OpenBSD project .... please
check this links ...". I got that as a good answer for my questions. Not to
mention the RTFM thing. You say on FAQ that beginners questions will not
receive so much help, that the man is your friend. What the hell? 15 days of
messages just to answer a beginner-like question. That is not fair ! :-)

Bytheway, after some research I'm stuck and I must ask something. But I think I
will do this in a different post.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs