Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Eliah has beautifully demonstrated this for both Mathematics
> and Physics.  What is flabbergasting me about such questions
> is that these are extremely old facts - essentially, known for
> more than 70 years - and many people still believe that formal
> science can be both complete and consistent.

For the record, I do not believe that there is necessarily no complete
and entirely correct *physical* theory "out there" to be discovered.
Such a theory, when formalized mathematically, would have to allow
well-formed undecidable statements. But those statements would not
necessarily be *about* physical reality, any more than an applied
system that modestly extends Zermelo-Frankel set theory (with or
without the Axiom of Choice) to contain axioms about voter
demographics is incomplete with respect to classification of voters
due to the undecidability of the Continuum Hypothesis. In other words,
the "complete physics" would actually use only part of the
mathematical framework used to formalize it.

It's also possible that a complete and correct theory of physics will
be discovered and be accepted, and still not be formalized
mathematically. Quantum Electrodynamics is probably the most
successful scientific theory ever (in terms of the number,
consistency, and precision of its predictions), and yet as far as I
know it has still not been formalized in the mathematical sense.

-Eliah