Doug:

Just curious.  Does the same problem exist on your OpenBSD boxes?  You
can also use lynx if you don't have wget installed.

time lynx -dump http://www.openbsd.org/spamd/traplist.gz > /dev/null

Frank

Frank Bax wrote:
Doug:

I've been noticing that my systems seem to sometimes hang at "spamd" during startup. I've been doing some checking and I think it might be because "spamd-setup" is being run during startup (as well as cronjob).

spamd-setup is taking 20-30 MINUTES to run on each of my servers; yet a posting on OpenBSD list indicates this should take UNDER 1 MINUTE. Part of "spamd-setup" downloads current blacklists for blocking spam. To test download speeds, I tried wget to download the file:

time wget http://www.openbsd.org/spamd/traplist.gz

On Sunday afternoon, I ran wget twice on both servers:
   209.205.45.62 - download times: 27sec, 34min
   209.205.45.73 - download times: 11min, 3min

Obviously, there is a huge variability in download times. Is there some network config problem that could be causing these delays?

Frank