On Jan 8, 2008, at 1:15 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

Well, right now, I just do full backups.  Incrementals get rather
tedius.  Especially since they find new files but they don't notice a
file that has been deleted. So I don't need a list of what files are in which tarball but rather just what date it is. A simple log: this tape,
this date, this tarball.

For a little while, I've had a project on my plate to create a simple backup system that'd use rsync to mirror the directory for easy access, and then have versions going back X-months that can be archived to tape, etc, easily.

A simple queryable DB to keep track of files in not only the archived files, but also the versions on the backup hardware, and the contents of the archival tape at the same time.

Details are not well fleshed out beyond this, and I never really got started on coding it up.

As long as the archive format that it tells tar to use is compatible
with whatever version of tar you go to use in 20 years; but that's
another topic.

I don't think the tar(1) format has changed much in the last 20 years, and it seems unlikely that the IEEE will redefine it again anytime soon. For what it's worth, modern versions of tar(1) should handle previously defined versions of it.

But, as you said, it's off topic.