On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 11:04:59AM +0100, Stiphane Chausson wrote:
> Simon Vallet wrote, On 9/01/08 10:44:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 21:52:22 +0100
>> "Good Good"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Free.fr is the first general public ISP in France to provide IPV6 to its
>>> customers (it seems that I would be lucky) :)
>>
>> Just a minor correction there: it is *not* -- Nerim has been routing /48
>> IPv6 blocks to every customer since years...
>>
>> And no, a /64 is not particularly useful; it's encouraging
>> nevertheless that IPv6 gets at least a bit attention.
>>
>> Simon
>>

> In a [1]press communiqui (in french, sorry) they say they give 2^64 ip
> address to every customer.
> To me, total ipv6 beginner, it seems a lot !
> What is bad with "/64" ?
> Are they sort of lying ? Playing with words ?

Of the 128bit IPv6 address only 64bits are actually usable the "/64" is
actually more similar to a "/32" host route in IPv4 land. To be correct a
"/64" represents one LAN segement with maybe multiples hosts on it.
This comes from the fact that the lower 64bits of a IPv6 address are
autogenerated. rtsol (router solicitation) uses these lower 64bit.

--
:wq Claudio