Richard Daemon wrote:
> As for others saying 'why re-compile GENERIC', well, GENERIC is awesome in
> itself and there is no need generally. But I think the reason for some
> people is that they too like tweaking /usr/src/sys/conf/GENERIC &
> /usr/src/sys/arch/$ARCH/conf/GENERIC to remove any un-needed options that
> they don't use or need or even for changing root device.

remove a few toes, while you are at it.

> Speeds up boot times,

Take the time you spend crafting a custom kernel (including all screwups)
Divide by the number of reboots during the life of that kernel to find out
how much of a speed improvement you have to accomplish to justify this.
Now, laugh at this argument.

> smaller kernel size,

why?  6M kernel, 64M machine.  You now make it a 4M kernel.  You have
saved 3% of your RAM.  And accomplished...what?

If you have reason to try to run OpenBSD on a 16M or 12M machine,
yes, you have some serious trimming to do.  And you better know
what the heck you are doing.  But systems on the curb on trash
day are typically 32M or more now, so this is a pointless quest.

> slightly less ram wasted

RAM is not usually something in short supply these days.

> and could even potentially secure the
> system more in some cases.

more likely to destabilize it and insecure it.

I don't even like setting the terminal speed in boot.conf.  I'd much
rather just set the terminal speed of the device in question to be the
default of the OS in question, which in this case is 9600bps.  That
way, when you reinstall it, you don't forget to edit that parameter
and cause yourself problems.

Remember: the goal is NOT to get the thing running, the goal is to
KEEP it running (i.e., maintainable) throughout its life cycle.

Nick.