Gustavo Polillo wrote:
How can use k3b on openbsd 4.2?

The short answer is that K3b is not in packages so you can not use it unless you compile from the source.

The long answer is that K3b is just a front end for cdrtools and dvd+rw and those tools are of course available so you can do on 4.2 OpenBSD whatever you could do with K3b. The problem is that you might need to write
few simple scripts which will make it easier to do some things.
K3b heavily depends on Qt libraries (used for KDE) so it is really bloated in terms of compiling.

There is a very light alternative among packages called TkDVD which does most of the things K3b but is in particularly
good for ISO images.
You should also look the following packages

abcde

cdrachive

cdrdao

dvdauthor

dvdbackup

dvdrip

All of the above being said, as a primarily desktop user, I think that K3b should be ported to OpenBSD. I use it all the time on my only remaining FreeBSD box and I believe that is the best KDE application written out there.

If you carefully read misc archives you will see that there was a guy who tired to compile K3b to OpenBSD couple of years ago. He and me accidentally share the same name Predrag. Obviously he was not very persistent and didn't finish the job.

I am a new OpenBSD (only three months) and I am still learning about current branch and creating new packages. At this point I would like to port shimmer (security) and PDFedit to OpenBSD. Obviously not being developer this is the most (besides money and hardware of course) I can contribute to the project.

K3b should be little bit more difficult to compile than the above packages because of already mentioned Qt libraries and dependencies with other parts of KDE desktop. I would like to try to do that. I would suggest that you also try to compile K3b from the source. K3b web site is well written and there is a fairly good documentation that explains how you compile K3b from the source. You should probably subscribe to ports mailing list and try at least to talk to KDE port maintainer and ask him for some kind of guidance. Please, do not try to push him or anybody else for that matter to port K3b for you as these people are all volunteers.

Most Kind Regards,
Predrag Punosevac

P. S. I do not know if the current Gnome port for OpenBSD includes CD/DVD creator (I think it is called Gnome Backer). It might be among Gnome utilities. I know that the Gnome port for stable version is 2.18 which is almost 2.20 which was released fairly recently. I used CD/DVD creator on FreeBSD. It is in my point of view worse than K3b but I would love to see it ported to OpenBSD. I personally use only AbiWord and Gnumeric packages from the Gnome port and I have no intentions of even trying to compile myself.