Urban Hillebrand wrote:
> On Mittwoch 23 Januar 2008 18:56:52 elpinguim wrote:
> [...]
>> Bob Beck's presentation on spamd & pf should provide some useful insight as
>> to how you could deploy a similar setup.  I found the presentation(s) to be
>> quite helpful a few years ago.
>>
>> http://www.ualberta.ca/~beck/nycbug06/
>
> Thanks, but I already stole several ideas from his presentation :)
>
> However, it does not answer the 3 questions in my original post.
>
> Regarding hardware sizing Bob says he is using a "smallish Dell Server" - I
> would be interested in more details (how much RAM is needed, how big does the
> greylist DB get...). I suppose two "standard servers" (single xeon, 2 GB RAM,
> small internal disk) would be more than sufficient for us, but some real
> world examples would still be helpful.

Here is an example from a server that has constantly over 500 concurrent smtp
connections to spamd and takes more than 1.000.000 connections a day.

spamdb | wc -l && ls -lah /var/db/spamd
  251365
-rw-r--r--  1 _spamd  _spamd  88.3M Jan 24 15:07 /var/db/spamd

As you can see the size of the database is quite ludicrous.

You should just take care that for this kind of size, you will have to raise max
table-entries in pf.conf.

As for the CPU usage, spamd on this machine uses 10% at max of one of the CPUs
(2X Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz), and is generally at 5% or less.