On Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 15:06:28, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> My bandwidth is very very limited. Not more than 140 Kbps on both
>> sides at any time. I use G729 as a codec in order to reduce
>> consumption. Use the pf.conf below, when VoIP is the only traffic,
>> the quality of the calls is excelent with no voice cutting at all.
>> Now if I start a download I immediatelly see the quality degrade.
>>
>> That is why I thought of using some radical policy.
>
> That's strange; it may be your connection struggles at much lower
> bandwidths than nominal - for instance, perhaps it suffers high packet
> loss  at 80% utilization; TCP could recover, but VoIP might be affected.

Packet loss probably isn't even a factor. Your QoS configuration is only
going  to  affect  traffic  *from*  you,  unless you can ask your ISP to
prioritize VoIP traffic *to* you you're only tweaking one direction.

Plus  QoS isn't going to interrupt a packet currently being transmitted,
if  a  large  download  packet  is already going out your VoIP packet is
gonna  have to wait until its done. The slower your connection the worse
the latency can be.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     "The avalanche has already started, it is too
Rod Dorman              late for the pebbles to vote." - Ambassador Kosh