On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 02:11:54AM +0100, ropers wrote:
> On 30/01/2008, Douglas A. Tutty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > She's also sensitive to lower-freq and even DC electric fields (e.g. a
> > battery with no external current flow) but in a different manner.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "DC electric fields" in this
> context. A battery without any current flow is just a container with
> chemicals inside. No electricity, no magnetic field, nothing.

Sure it does.  It has a static electric field since there's a voltage
potential between the two poles.  Electricity doesn't just appear once
you put a meter onto a battery; current yes, potential no.  Potential
is, well, potential.  Also, no batteries are electrically perfect so
they all contain some capacitance that can then interact if placed in an
occilating EMF (IOW, they can act like an antenna).

It all seems strange.  Yes, I know the physics of it, but before this
happened, it was something that you paid a lot of money to build a
detector for, for research.  However, I have been assured by the best of
medical science (not just a local quack) that this is real.

So, back to the issue at hand.  Anybody have fond memories of great 486
or Pentium-based servers (or other arch equivs)?

Doug.