On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:09:07PM +0100, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:

> You can use old Pentium II 400 MHz - there are still many of them available,
> which doesn't need any cooler, its radiator will do. Such way the only
> moving part would be PS-fan, which you can slow down a little, using
> a resistor 50-100 Ohm - additionally reducing a noise.

I have a CoolerMaster iGreen 600W.  Runs just fine, barely audible even
up close.  However, I don't rely on it to cool the case.

I have an Athlon64 in a CoolerMaster Stacker (the older model) with:
        AMD CPU fan (the loudest, and the only one I hear)
        CM cross-flow 1"x12" long squirrel-cage fan.
        80 mm blow-hole fan
        120 mm rear case fan
        dual 80 mm fans in the upper PSU bay
On the front, three 4-in-3 drive modules with a 120 mm fan

Honestly, the only thing I hear is the AMD CPU fan.  The MB handles fan
speed for the CPU, cross-flow, and the two upper PSU bay fans.  The PSU
is in the lower bay.

The other fans are fixed-speed connected with IDE drive power plugs.
They turn slowly enough to be silent.  The case temp and MB stay at room
ambient.  The drives get up to 27 C.  The video card is fanless and goes
to 40 C as does the CPU.

If you can handle the performance of a CPU without a fan, then you'll be
fine for silent.

Doug.