Hello,

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Jim M wrote:

my /var/log/messages file is filled over and over with the line
(obviously the date/time varies)

Jan 31 20:17:00 balrog dhclient: send_fallback: No route to host

The machine is a firewall and has no graphic capabilities.  It is a dhcp
client to get my the IP address for the home network and a dhcp server
for all the machines in the house.  What does this error message mean?
The firewall works fine as the default router for all the wired Ethernet
machines in the house.  But, I have laptop with built in 802.11 and a
PCMCIA card as well.  When I use the PCMCIA card, everything works fine.
With the built in 802.11, however, it connects to the WAP, but does not
get an IP address from the firewall.  I can't figure out why the
difference and would appreciate any advice on how to troubleshoot this.
Thanks

Jim

dhclient does not have any message with "send_fallback" but dhcpd has.
You did write down the correct message? If dhcpd writes this message
than it could be that you didn't specify the interface on which dhcpd
should listen. Of course it should not listen on your external
interface, see man dhcpd.

Is your PCMCIA card wired or wireless?

Regards

Stefan Kell