On 2/4/08, Richard Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have this rule:
>
> 'scrub in all max-mss 1400'
>
> When when two peers on opposite sides of this firewall attempt to connect, a
> TCP SYN packet passes in from peer-1 though one interface, with it's MSS
> field set to 1360, through a bi-nat rule and the above scrub rule, and exits
> another interface, and onwards to peer-2, it's MSS field value having been
> raised to 1400. (This effect observed using tcpdump on both interfaces at the
> same time)
>
> This causes problems, as the packets returned from the peer-2 are often too
> big for peer-1 to handle.
>
> Is the raising of the MSS field value expected behaviour?
>
> The man page and FAQ, and the option name itself, indicated the max-mss value
> should set an upper limit, not an absolute value.
>
> So what am I doing wrong? How do I use max-mss to set an upper limut, rather
> than an absolute value?

I am uncertain what it is you want to accomplish, but if one host is
telling you its max-mss is 1360 and you change this to 1400, you will
break connectivity with that host.  When two hosts do a TCP handshake,
they will use the lower max-mss supported between them.  FWIW, if you
must change it at all, you should probably only change the max-mss on
packets going out of your network/from your hosts.