Nick Holland wrote:
<speculation>
Old cac's have some kind of battery on them, they look like large lithium
cells.  They don't really look like rechargeable.  Even if they are,
they are so old, they are probably dead on yours (and mine).  That may
be why my cac(4) experience was so uninspiring, or it may just mean the
things will toast your file systems when the power goes out unexpectedly.
</speculation>

I've never actually seen a bad battery on a CAC. It's just used for the write cache, so if you don't trust it set the cache for 100% Read / 0% Write.

The Smart Array 3200s are substantially faster than the Smart 2/P and its ilk, but still CAC.