On 8 Feb 2008, at 14:23, NetOne - Doichin Dokov wrote:
Yup, I have successfully compiled the XENU kernel, I neither now which version it is, but it's 8 months old, I believe it was based on -current.
The bad thing is that - when I try to run it with Xen, i get this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] xen]# xm create -c /etc/xen/net1-obsd.xm
Using config file "/etc/xen/net1-obsd.xm".
Error: (22, 'Invalid argument')

As far as I went with googling info about this error, it's something PAE related - my Xen dom0 is PAE enabled I think (I'm not very much into linux, but i have HIGHMEM_64G defined, also PAE is present in / proc/cpuinfo). Seems like the OpenBSD XENU kernel is not (or the vice versa - dom0 is non-PAE, and the OpenBSD kernel is PAE-enabled). In FreeBSD, there's a PAE option in the kernel config, but I don't find such one in the OpenBSD configs (I did not have enough time to investigate this, though, so I might have overlooked it).

I'm using Xen 3.0.x, and my net1-obsd.xm config is:
=================
name = "net1-obsd"
memory = "256"
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/mirror/fc1,sda1,w' ]
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:1b:04:c9, bridge=xenbr0' ]
vnc=1
vncunused=1
vcpus=2
kernel = "/boot/openbsd-xenu"
extra = "boot_verbose,boot_single,vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ md0,kern.hz=100"
on_reboot   = 'restart'
on_crash    = 'restart'

Maybe it's best to contact Christoph directly, but I don't know if he still works on this project (the ng repository seems dead for the last 8 months), and I don't want to annoy him if not needed, so if anyone has any ideas how to proceed with this, I would be grateful to receive their opinion & knowledge.

You can't intermix PAE and non-PAE enabled paravirtual guest kernels and dom0s. Since most Xen distros use PAE by default these days, it just needs support added to the OpenBSD port to let you boot it. Until that happens, you will need to use a non-PAE dom0.

-anil