You saw the official status.  Increased public attention rarely
changes a technical opinion around here.

Reading the bugtraq link indicates that in other OSes, the default
sysctl disables the PRNG, resulting in a sequential IP ID counter.
Anyone with half a brain can see that sequential is infinitely worse
than a weak PRNG.  I didn't look up the others, but FreeBSD CVS
indicates that their fixed PRNG is still not enabled by default.
How's that for security?

Also, I thought BIND 9 had its own PRNG flaws, which is what prompted
OpenBSD to provide their own in the first place.  What algorithm is
BIND 9 currently using?

At any rate, OpenBSD developers likely believe (or know from firsthand
experience) that there are already satisfactory measures that can be
taken by concerned admins to secure DNS or other traffic.  If superior
methods are already available and improving this PRNG has minimal
overall benefit, it is therefore uninteresting and of low priority.
Note that this does not preclude it from ever being fixed.  If you are
that concerned about the issue, you are certainly welcome to patch and
compile it yourself.

IIRC, the fields affected by this PRNG flaw were originally intended
to be sequential counters, and therefore must be monotonic.  Simply
swapping in a "more random" PRNG doesn't necessarily come without
repercussions.  OpenBSD developers may be waiting for real-world
evidence or independent research indicating that the new PRNG causes a
minimum of compatibility problems, is cryptographically better than
the old one, and has suitable performance characteristics.

Just my unsolicited take on the situation...

--david