On 2/10/08, Xavier Millihs-Lacroix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want add one or several serial / rs232 connectors on a OpenBSD box
> (Soekris or standard PC) - without adding a PCI card - just converter.
> I search compatibles products. When we buy product we don't know the chip.
>
> Do you have good experiences ?

This is the one I use (ATEN UC-232A):
http://www.aten.com/USB-Converter.htm

I don't have a dmesg right now though.

It works fine for basic things where you only use the txd and rxd lines.

>From what I've been told, do not rely on the other lines to act
properly (if the do anything at all) if you are using a generic
USB->Serial converter.

> I have an converter, here an excerpt dmesg and usbdevs :
>
> ----------------
> uftdi0 at uhub0 port 2
> uftdi0: FTDI FT232R USB UART, rev 2.00/6.00, addr 3
> ucom0 at uftdi0 portno 1
> ----------------
> # usbdevs -dv
> Controller /dev/usb0:
> addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
> Intel(0x8086), rev 1.00
>   uhub0
>  port 1 addr 2: low speed, power 100 mA, config 1, NetScroll(0x0035),
> Genius(0x0458), rev 1.10
>    uhidev0
>  port 2 addr 3: full speed, power 90 mA, config 1, FT232R USB UART(0x6001),
> FTDI(0x0403), rev 6.00
>    uftdi0
> ---------------------
>  I think tJhe FT232R USB UART is the /dev/ttyU0 device.
> But I can't talk witj it (in or out).
>
> # stty -f /dev/ttyU0
> ispeed 0 baud; ospeed 9600 baud;
> lflags: echoe echoke echoctl
> cflags: cs8 -parenb
>
> Any ideas ?
> On another box I was using tip for receiving caracters.
>
> Xavier.

I've only ever used minicom on OpenBSD for serial connections (to
devices with a serial terminal.)

If you want to see if your device is working, it may have an LED on it
that blinks when you send a character.

You can also do a serial loopback test, like this:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3450

Just short the txd and rxd pins, then transmit data from a program
like minicom, the data you transmit will be echoed to the screen.

-Mark C.