On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 05:09:29PM -0300, Eduardo Meyer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have setup OpenBGP doing full routing with 3 other peers, so I get
> around 240k routes from each peer. But if by some reason I have to
> restar bgpd, it takes up to 5 minutes so I can all routes updated
> again.
>
> Is there a way to save and later restore the RIB/FIB tables?
>
> Since the only problem on commodity hardware are the mobile parts, I
> am also settig up a SPARE router with carp, so if one gets down, the
> spare will assume. But resync'ing the tables is again, reason for a
> higher downtime. So if I could save the tables in a machine and
> restore it on the other, would be great.
>
> Can I do this?

This is currently impossible and a carp setup will not help you as it will
take the same amount of time to take over. I have some evil plans with
rfc4724 "Graceful Restart Mechanism for BGP" but this is still far away from
being implemented because this depends on stuff that is slowly developped
at the moment.

Your best approach is to use two routers and split the peers between the
two. If one fails you still have the other left.
--
:wq Claudio