Hi,

> Writing into /dev, /tmp and /var would definitely NOT "destroy the CF
> card".

Might be. I used none-industrial-grade CF cards, so the chance is of course
higher.

> running for about half a year now, with all filesystems being regular

Thats fine. The machines that got replaced by the Alix board have been running
for almost 5 years, and I hope that I don't need to touch the boards for
several years.

> - just using noatime is fine; should the card die one day, new CF cards
> will be cheaper than a fart by then (and eight times as big, too).

That might depend... I have the theory that if you are sysadmin, the
machines "feel" when you are far away, and die exactly when you can't just
drop in and repair them :)

Cheers,
Klaus