Janne Johansson wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
For instance 'ggrep -r ...' instead of 'grep -r ...' to search recursively
with gnu grep (a worthless feature imho).
Displaying the name of the file and the matched line nicely like grep -r
does is not elegant with find + grep without using a script or a long
and inelegant alias - or if it is, I'd be interested in how it can be
done in case I need to work on some ancient unix.

$ find DIR -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep PATTERN

which, unlike 'find ... -exec' is just as fast as 'grep -r', and unlike
'grep -r', will skip special devices, symlinks, etc.

# uname -a
SunOS dumbhost.test.se 5.10 Generic_118855-33 i86pc i386 i86pc
#  find /etc -type f -print0
find: bad option -print0
find: [-H | -L] path-list predicate-list

But yes, its probably bad to start one grep per file.

$ find /etc -type f -exec printf "%s\0" {} \;

(if they've got printf, that is :)

I'd guess a printf process has less startup overhead than grep.

But, uh-oh... Does solaris have "xargs -0"? :-)

/Alexander