On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 05:15:08PM +0530, Amarendra Godbole wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Douglas A. Tutty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >
> >  When you boot the laptop, go into the bios (just to prevent booting).
> >  Have the external monitor attached.  Hit your key combo and you should
> >  get the bios screen on the external monitor.  If this works, then you're
> >  on the right track.  If it doesn't, then you know that its not the OS
> >  fault.
> [...]
>
> Okay, this works - going to BIOS, hitting a Fn-F7, and getting the
> display on the extenal monitor. But now I have lost my notebook
> display, but this is workable for the timebeing (I am also
> investigating the xrandr option suggested by Matthieu). Thanks.

So Fn-F7 works in BIOS but not in the OS?

Does it work from the CLI (not X)?  This would isolate if its an X issue
or something else.

If it doesn't work from the CLI, then either something in the OS is
capturing the Fn-F7 or there's a hardware problem.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd get the advanced hardware diagnostics
from IBM's web site and run them on the laptop.

Doug.