Did you configure STP, or are the switches figuring this out on their own?

On Feb 24, 2008, at 1:09 PM, John Nietzsche wrote:

Dear gentleman/madam,

i was given 4 2724 dell powerconnect switches and only 6 patch cords.
Besides that, i was given a challenge to connect them each other
having a full interconnection schema (thanks my classes on graph
theory, i could do it using only 6 patch cords). So, given any two
switches there is a direct path between them. Instead of cascading,
this approach avoid a single point of failure and allows, for
instance, a uplink of 3 Gb/s between any given two switches and
reduces patch cords usage (my graph edges in this scenario).

The problem raises when i turn them on: After some time (from seconds
to 1 or even 2 minutes) the switches go crazy. I cannot even ping the
ip assigned to the switch i am connected directly  not to mention a
desktop located on another switch.

Is there any configuration that could be done to allow such
interconnection shema ?

thanks in advance.

PS: please, forgive me my OT message, but i am really desperated.
Could some one point me a better list to place my message?