On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Stuart Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On 2008-02-23, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >                  I noticed that the two firewalls do not forward there
> iBGP
> > learned routes to one another. Is this intended/expected behavior?
>
> Yes, you should probably read up a bit about BGP, and why you need
> a full mesh of i-BGP speakers.

I've reread thru some of my BGP resources.

> > And I had a "redistribute default" configured in ospfd.conf on the
> routers,
> > however I had problems with this setup as well when I unplugged the
> external
> > link on the firewall but this could have been due to my pf configuration
> on
> > the firewalls. Should I re-investigate this scenario?
>
> You mean, just OSPF and no BGP on the firewalls? That's probably worth
> another look.

No, I'm actually running  OSPF and BGP on all nodes, but I believe there to
be a config issue somewhere along the line . Because of the expected BGP
protocol behavior, Ill have to  revert back to my original configuration
with the "redistribute default" and begin troubleshooting why this was
problematic for me. When I unplugged the eBGP link, the unplugged router was
still distributing the default route. What i need it to do is stop
redistributing the default when the eBGP link dies. Ill have to reread thru
the manpages I suppose.

> > Also how how quickly should traffic be rerouted with OSPF if a link
> dies?
>
> Depends on your timers, but <10sec is not unreasonable for OSPF.
> If you have to wait for BGP timers and session re-establishment that
> would take longer.

I have default timers set, however the typical time for reconvergence is
between 60-120 seconds, so I must be waiting on the BGP timers.