Nick Holland wrote:
> Don Jackson wrote:
>> I use serial consoles on all my OpenBSD servers for remote serial
>> access to the machines, both during initial install via pxeboot, and
>> later on in regular use after the install.
>> I'm currently running either 4.2 or 4.1 on all my machines.
>>
>> The FAQ states:
>>
>>        Only the first serial port (com0) is supported for console on
>> amd64 and i386
>>
>>        http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#SerCon
>>
>> Why is this the case?
>
> because that's the way the code was written...
>
>> Why does OpenBSD care which serial port I use?
>
> because that's the way the code was written...
>
>> Will it simply not work if I specify "set tty com1" in /etc/boot.conf ?
>
> I certainly wouldn't plan on it working.  Feel free to try.  Don't
> whine if things work as advertised.

Well, I've been informed that at least for -current (and I'm pretty
sure that means for -recent :) it DOES (at least sometimes) work.

I just tried it on one of my machines with -current, it Just Worked.
(and on -current, it works Just Cool.  Set it up with com1, not only
does it install on com1, it sets the config files up for com1)

So, I'm happy to report that I and the FAQ are at least partly, and
very possibly completely wrong on this.  I'm pretty sure this was
true at one point, obviously that limitation was removed, and tom@
is probably going to pull up a list of 20 test cases I ran for him,
but I don't remember that.

FAQ will be fixed once I make sure deleting the warning is 100%
appropriate.

Nick.