I'm using OpenBSD 4.2 stable branch.

I modified the last line of the hostname.pppoe0 that is in the man
page of the kernel pppoe dirver, adding the "-mpath" option to the
route command:

inet 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 NONE \
       pppoedev ne0 authproto pap \
       authname 'testcaller' authkey 'donttell' up
dest 0.0.0.1
!/sbin/route add -mpath default -ifp pppoe0 0.0.0.1

But the result is not the espected, the first two lines of the routing
table are:

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination          Gateway                  Flags         Refs
  Use        Mtu         Interface
default                  1-180-19.cable         UGS              0
     187          -                  fxp0
default                   0.0.0.1                   UGS              1
         263          -             pppoe0

Looking at the second line of the routing table one can see that the
route command had put the
wilcard of the remote side of the ppp connection in the gateway place,
but it do not replace it
with the actual value of the IP address of the remote side of the
connection, instead it put literally 0.0.0.1

With the command:
# ifconfig pppoe0
pppoe0: flags=8851<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
        dev: em1 state: session
        sid: 0x4f07 PADI retries: 0 PADR retries: 0 time: 00:38:27
        sppp: phase network authproto pap authname "XXXXX"
        groups: pppoe egress
        inet6 fe80::21b:21ff:fe04:358b%pppoe0 ->  prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6
        inet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd --> fff.ggg.hhh.iii netmask 0xffffffff

So I will espect that the second line of the routing table looks like:

default           fff.ggg.hhh.iii                  UGS              1
        263          -             pppoe0

For the other interface (in my case fxp0) the hostname.fxp0 file only
contains the word: "dhcp"
I do not believe that the "-mpath" option is needed here, because
apparently the system initializes this
interface before the pppoe0 and at the moment that system makes the
routing table entry for the default
gateway related to this interface,  there is no other default gateway.

Up to now I added by hand the static routes to the DNS servers, but I
do not like this idea very much.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you again,

Mauricio