Otto> zombie state happend if a child process exits, but its parent did not
Otto> execute a wait(2) system call (or one if its alternatives) for the
Otto> process (yet). So this seem a bug in the handling of CGIs.

Most likely a bug in a Perl script that forks but doesn't wait for its kid.
I generally *don't* see zombies in well-written Perl programs.

Was this FastCGI by any chance?  I know there's unique problems related to
that for naive code that creates a child, because the parent never goes away
(since it's shared by the next series of CGI hits).  But again, with proper
care, even a FastCGI script can be written properly.