"Dave Beckstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have an OpenBSD 3.3 transparently bridged packet filtering firewall.  I
> would like to enable a VPN connection through the firewall into a Win2K3
> server that sits behind the firewall.

"VPN" could be a lot of things, but this sounds very much like the
Microsoft PPTP variety, and cut to the chase, it's one of those
protocols that's hard to do right.  There is work going on now that
might solve this soon (as in patches on tech@, may turn up in
snapshots soonish), but the only more or less working solution right
now is the frickin pptp proxy, at frickin.sourceforge.net.  Not much
loved by OpenBSD developers, but it's there.

Not really wanting to nag, but you may want to look into upgrading to
a more recent OpenBSD, hardly any recent software will be even tested
on 3.3 these days.

For the protocols and ports, it's almost always better (as in makes
your rule set more readable and maintainable) to grep for the numbers
in /etc/protocols and /etc/services files respectively. More likely
than not you can put what you find in your pf.conf -

> I am finding conflicting information on what ports/protocol to open up.
> Microsoft is saying protocol ID 47 and TCP port 1723 both inbound and
> outbound.  If that's true, then something like the following should work:

that would be

"proto gre" and "port pptp" respectively

> To complicate matters, I've found other references to protocols 50 & 51 and
> port 500.

those would be "proto esp", "proto ah" and "port isakmp".  and yes,
you may need to go through contortions with others.  I would recommend
looking into other VPNs than the builtin Microsoft one, almost all
other options are easier to deal with.

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/