Dave Anderson wrote:
> I've been working on the pf configuration for my home firewall,
> including setting up ftp-proxy.  I've noticed that the command is
> getting cluttered with options to adjust the rules it creates to the
> needs of different pf configurations.  Has any thought been given to
> allowing arbitrary nat, rdr and pass rules to be specified in a
> configuration file (in the same syntax as for pf.conf) with macros
> defined for the server, client and proxy addresses (as in the examples;
> also, perhaps, a few other macros -- such as for the interfaces through
> which the client and server are reachable)?
>
> I'm not asking (let alone demanding) that anyone implement this, but
> would like to know if it's been considered and rejected for some
> reason, is on someone's to-do list, has never been thought about, or
> whatever.  It seems to me to be a good way both to avoid needing more
> and more options to tweak the generated rules and to avoid the delay
> involved in modifying the program whenever someone comes up with a new
> need.

Now that the 'tag' option is available I don't expect ftp-proxy to gain
any more options wrt. to the pf rules it creates, because you can
implement those yourself using 'tagged'.

The history behind the current implementation is that I wanted it to be
simple.  Having a configuration file with pf rules means that you either
have:
- embed a full parser, which is a lot of code
- run pfctl, which makes it harder to chroot

Also, the FTP protocol is complex.  Having the nat and rdr rules under
user control would easily break things.

So it would be a lot of extra code for not much gain.

--
Cam