I've got "The Book of PF" on order.
Meanwhile I will continue to fumble through on my own.

I work at a boarding school.

Freetime Internet access is a carrot we use to encourage accademic performance. Most free time use is java games and social networking sites.

I am trying to set up a system to allow internet usage on a per person basis. I work in a school, and the kids aren't terribly shy about loaning/borrowing accounts.

(I've already set up my windows boxes so that if the same user is detected logged in on more than one machine, then BOTH machines reboot. Sometimes it's because a kid forgot to log off. Sometimes it's because he logged in for someone else.)

I want to change the system from one where computer access is allowed/denied (script working on smbpasswd file.) to one where internet access is allowed/denied through pfauth.

The firewall box also runs squid in transparent mode. Almost all of the internet access is for the web. I want to use pfauth instead of squid's authentication for several reasons. 1. To use squid's authorization I have to make squid non-transparent. 2. I have a prototype authentication scheme that will work with ssh/pfauth, but that is beyond me for squid integration. (Notion is to build up a set of questions/answers that only the user will know. In essence a bunch of questions for each user on the line of "what is the middle name of the first girl you had a crush on?" with them having considerable leeway in which questions they want in their personal security database)
3.  I want to regulate the non-squid access too.

How do I set up pfauth to authenticate both squid and network trafic?

How do I set up tallying by user so that I can get an idea of who's spending too much time on facebook.