On 17/03/2008, Joachim Schipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 09:33:10AM -0700, Lord Sporkton wrote:
>  > I am running OpenBSD on OpenBSD with qemu(from pkg) all 4.2
>  >
>  > I am using the host OS for network services, ntp, dns, and router,
>  >
>  > I am using the guest OS's for client services, www, ftp, sql, etc.
>

> Eh... are you aware that qemu without kqemu is very, very slow? And that
>  this list has a "virtualization does not enhance security" mantra?
>
>  Just checking. If you want to experiment with a "real" network without
>  having a large amount of hardware, what you're doing is actually a
>  pretty good way of going about it. Just don't try to *actually* run it
>  in production.

That is pretty much what im trying to do, simulate a real network.
Part of that being that all my virtuals would see themselves on the
same layer2 network and would be able to talk to each other with out
the host acting as a router, same way vmware does it.

>  > My goal is to have all the guests on internal addresses and use the
>  > host to nat them to publics as needed, as well as the host providing
>  > ipsec tunnels to allow other locations to access the client services
>  > via internal address.
>  >
>  > My question is:
>  > Is it best to put my private gateway ip on the real ethernet interface
>  > or on a loopback or other interface on the host?
>

> I'm not really sure what you mean. Most qemu setups I've seen connect to
>  the host OS via tunX, so there is not really a "private gateway" there.
>  You could NAT your real external interface into these tun devices.
>
>                 Joachim

And part of a real network is that i would have a gateway(firewall).
I misunderstood how qemu handle networking, i was under the impression
that it piggy backed on a real interface, much the way that vmware or
windows virtual machine does, you tell it attach to x interface and it
puts a second mac on the interface and then uses that interface(all
though shared) as if it was its own physical nic.

Your reply suggests i am understanding it wrong, however i did not see
anything in the man page saying otherwise, perhaps i missed something

--
-Lawrence
-Student ID 1028219