Lars Noodin wrote:
> If one has to identify a specific license (or licenses) for OpenBSD
> documentation, which is/are recommended?
>
> Is there a generic BSD-Documenation License anymore?
>
> I wasn't able to spot anything in either the OpenBSD FAQ or the Misc
> mailing list archive.
>
> Regards,
> -Lars

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking...if you are asking what the
license is for a PARTICULAR bit of existing documentation, the source
file is your clue.  It's not only a clue, of course, it's the law.

The man pages tend to follow the application they are documenting,
pretty much out of necessity.  You don't want to have the official
documentation having different distribution rules than the app.

The OpenBSD website, for the most part, has no license, which means
it falls under standard copyright law.  Parts of the FAQ are under
a BSD-style license.

For stuff you publish on other people's site, you follow their rules
or guidelines.  This is actually pretty critical, as your docs will
go out of date quickly, and if history is an indicator, you will
probably not bother to update it, so someone else will need to step
in and either delete it or update it (or at least, modify it to say,
"this is great historical information about this five year old
problem, the writing is sublime, but completely pointless now".)

For stuff you write and publish yourself?  Why are you asking us?
Decide what you want done with it, and act accordingly!  Why should
someone else decide how YOU license YOUR work??  If you really want
others to tell you how to distribute your work, may I suggest the
GNUbies...

Anyway, cheap shots aside, for many, many uses, you should probably
just stick with standard copyright law.  If you want something
other than that, ask yourself why, what you hope to accomplish, and
how you and others will benefit from a license.  Think long and hard
about it.  Are you going to be upset if someone takes your BSD'd
webpages, prints them on their laser printer, binds them in book
form and sells 'em for $40/ea, and ends up on the New York Times
Best Seller List without forwarding a dime to you?  If not, don't
BSD-license your text.  It happened to us, a lot of people were all
bent out of shape over it, but Joel and I had already discussed that
probability and we were ok with it, both as a hypothetical and after
it actually happened.

How do you or the world benefit from having your writing in
slightly different form at 700 different sites around the Web?

I don't have a good suggestion, really, other than be careful.  I
admit that third-party documentation for free software sounds like
it "should" be free at first thought, but /practically/, I don't
see the benefit to anyone.  When we BSD'd parts of the FAQ, we had
what we (Joel and I...I think it is should be pointed out that Theo
thought we were a bit nuts) thought was good reason, and we have no
regrets about doing it.  BUT it isn't for everyone or everything.

I've not even looked too closely at "free documentation" licenses.
I just don't know what I want them to say in general.  Usually, I
prefer that what I write either stay under regular copyright law,
so I can determine how it is distributed, modified, etc. or should
be spread as widely as possible with nothing more than attribution,
and much of what I write would probably be best for me if spread
without attribution or buried and never seen again :).

Nick.