Hello Jake,

On 08/04/2008, at 11:07 AM, Jacob Yocom-Piatt wrote:
have spent a fair deal of time working with pf and have just seen what appears to be quite a bizarre problem:

topology is (internet)--pppoe--(openbsd fw - running 4.2-release)-- switch--(wired/wifi router).

a winxp host connected to the wifi router has no problem viewing webpages, etc, however, a macosx host connected to the wifi router gets packets randomly (AFAICT) dropped by the openbsd fw. google seems to load fine on the macosx machine but other sites will not load with any regularity. the packet dropping has been observed on the firewall using 'tcpdump -nettvi pflog0' and packets were being blocked on the internal internal interface, either em2 or vlan2, until the pf rule 'pass on $int_if' was changed to 'pass on $int_if no state'. then packets started getting blocked on the external interface, despite a rule 'pass out on $ext_if' as a catch-all at the end of the ruleset. the rule that shows as being the blocker is 'block log all', the first rule in the set.

so in essence, i see rules that are not being obeyed in the pf ruleset, but only for the macosx host and not the winxp one. the macosx firewall is turned off and i can ssh from the macosx host to the openbsd fw just fine. i can also ping fine from the macosx host, so dns and routing are working.

clues as to wtf is going on would be appreciated. can supply more detailed info on request.

cheers,
jake

I saw something sounding similar with a MacOX X 10.3 (Panther) host having packet fragmentation issues. In an effort to troubleshoot the issue I altered the MTU on the Panther host to 1492 appeared to resolve the issue. Upgrading that mac to 10.4 (Tiger) reset the MTU to 1500 without the issue reoccuring.

I don't know if that helps, if not you might try posting your pf.conf and a tcpdump packet capture.

Best wishes,
Damon