hmm, on Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 09:12:32PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty said that
> I wonder if there's a buffering thing going on.  Under both os's, what
> happens if you time it from the start of dd to the time the light stops
> flashing and you could remove the stick.  Perhaps linux's dd is
> returning while the data is still being written.

exactly.  since i bought the asus eee i have been a linux user
again, and none should envy me for that...  i have a plethora of
usb stuff with me, mp3 player, camera, external hdd, psp...
and i have truly came to hate the linux buffer system.  it is all
nice and dandy that your copy operation whizzes past like a douglas
adams deadline but when you issue the umount to take your gadget
you wait sometimes more than a minute!  what is the point of that
i ask?  i'll take a "normal" speed copy and an instant-ish umount
any day.

and the other day i shot myself in the foot with gkrellm because
i have a button set up for umounting the gadgets, and that button
just starts umount but it's a non blocking thing, it doesnt wait
for umount to actually return...  so i "umounted", removed the
mp3 player and later that day i discovered partly overwritten
files and whatnot.  madness.

so my 0.63 thai bahts (~ 2 cents) is a massive attack song
title as well: be thankful for what you have got...

i had my fair share of umass problems in the past, but i still think
that the openbsd usb stack is very reliable, and a lot of hardware
awfully misbehaves...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uname -a
Linux amaaq 2.6.21.4-eeepc #21 Sat Oct 13 12:14:03 EDT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

damn you atheros for your chipset, damn you!
and damn asus to use it, damn you!
otherwise an excellent little machine.  almost there to wipe the linux from it.

-f
--
women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.