Sunnz wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone uses a screen reader?

I used to use espeak on Linux because it is 1, cli, 2, you can just
copy and paste a bunch of text to stdin and it will speak it, 3, it is
very easy to adjust the speed on the command line just --speed 200 or
something. 4, use voices from cepstral their voice cost $30 and it is
worth the money.

Are there anything like that in the OpenBSD ports?

Thanks.

Festival is in ports, but it can be a job to get a voice sounding okay with it.

It can run in server mode, and there is a cli. Not sure about the speed option, I didn't have any need to try that.

The cepstral voices should work, since one of the lead developers in festival is behind cepstral. I used some hts voices--also free--for our app, a database driven automated telephone based calendar of training events.

Write me off-list if you have more questions. I'm pretty happy with the quality of the setup we are using.

Jeff