On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:19:18AM -0700, Ed Flecko wrote:
| Hi folks,
| For a variety of reasons and features, I'd like to install the
| apache-httpd-2.2.4.tgz package. As a side note, I tried to install it
| on OpenBSD 4.2, and there are a few package dependencies it apparently
| is missing (at least on my box, which runs 4.2 without X) because the
| install fails.

That's interesting. I'm running apache2 on my OpenBSD webserver (which
runs 4.2) and it runs just fine there. No problems installing or
anything. (although I did have X installed (for gd etc.)) Of course, I
installed apache with all its dependencies...

| Anyway,
|
| 1.) Is there a "correct" way to uninstall the default Apache 1.3 that
| ships with OpenBSD? I can't use a "pkg_delete..." can I?

No. There's no "correct" (as in, documented and advocated by the
developers) way of 'uninstalling' the default apache and you can't use
pkg_delete (it's not a package in the sense of the pkg-tools).

| 2.) Maybe I don't need to? If I don't uninstall the original Apache,
| will the new version overwrite the 1.3 version?

You don't need to and the 2.2 you want to install will not overwrite
the old version. You have to make sure you start the correct apache
yourself (it's quite easy to distinguish between the two).

| 3.) Do I need to chroot the Apache 2.2.4 or will the "default" install
| set it up that way?

Not sure about this one, I believe it's not chroot'ed by default but
that's easy to check I suppose.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/