Torsten wrote on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 04:42:09PM +0200:

> If everybody always knew exactly what they're doing,
> this ML would be obsolete, wouldn't it?

No.  Knowledge does not obsolete communication.
Quite to the contrary, knowledge helps communication.

> Why would you read this ML if not to help others
> that don't get along with whatever they do with OpenBSD?

For example to find bug reports, fix the bugs and thus make OpenBSD
better.  At least that's what otto@ is doing a lot; he is one of the
quickest and most helpful developers in that respect.

At work (not related to OpenBSD), i am in the habit of looking into bug
reports if they smell related to the code i'm responsible for, just to
speed things up and spare our escalation engineers painful digging
through code i know more or less by heart anyway.  But it is embarrassing
if, after spending some time on a ticket, you find out that somebody
simply did something stupid but neglected to state what was done.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with experimentation -
you can learn a lot from it.  But when trying weird things,
try hard to solve your own problems and avoid asking for help.
Ignoring bogus reports and questions really isn't easy; usually,
you lose quite some time before you realize it's actually bogus.