Hi all,

OpenBSD 4.3-current (GENERIC) #0: Wed Mar 19 04:21:24 CET 2008

As anyone else, I use dump(8) for my backups.
Now I experience this: I made a full dump a while ago with

        dump -0 -a -u -f /backup/dump.var.www /var/www

Since then, /var/www got much smaller (you wouldn't believe the
amount of bullshit people put online). If I do the same dump now,
the resulting dumpfile (/backup/dump.var.www) is as big as before
- it never gets smaller, eventhough I am dumping a much smaller
filesystem now. Why is that?

Of course, this won't happen when if I run e.g.

        dump -0 -a -u -f - /var/www > /backup/dump.var.www

because then the dumpfile gets truncated right away. But the dump
happens inside daily.local, hence I want the > redirection for logging:

        dump -0 -a -u -f /backup/dump.var.www /var/www > $LOG 2>&1

What I did is rm -f /backup/dump.var.www and than run the dump again.
Now the dumpfile IS accordingly smaller.

Can someone enlighten me?
Perhaps 'dump -f' does not truncate the file?

        Thanks

                Jan