Hello All

Since many of standard services can be made to
listen on any port on the server side, and proxies
with custom configuration can be used in cases
otherwise, how effective is a firewall if it blocks
based on standard service ports? Is there a way
in which the application protocols being used can
be detected and then this knowledge be used to
let pf know what to filter and what not?  So, is
there some way to ensure that traffic to port 53
is in fact not from a program like iodine and what
goes to port 80 is only HTTP/HTTPS, and so on
for all the common protocols? With my little bit
of knowledge what I figure is that we need some
piece of software(s) which understands each protocol
thoroughly, can look at raw packets in real-time
and detect the protocol being used. Even then,
it may get bypassed in cases like 'protocol obfuscation'
feature of eMule being used, or if sufficient amount
of random garbage traffic is generated to deter proper
analysis.

Please correct if I am wrong or the question itself
is impertinent to this list.

Any help will be great. Thanks in advance.

Srikant Tangirala.