I was trying to install 4.3 to a SanDisk 1GB CF disk but the installer aborts when it tries to create the partitions to the disk

I get following when the creating partitions:
pciide:0:0:0: timeout waiting for DRQ, st=0x51 <DRDY,DSC,ERR>, err=0x00
wd0e: device timeout writing fsbn 47908 (wd0 bn 2100672, cn 521 tn 0 sn 0) retrying
..
newfs: wtfs: write error on block 47908 Input/Output error

I updated the Soekris BIOS, tested it with 4.2,4.3 and -current but all give the same results. I also tried to change the wd* flags to '0xffc' to disable DMA.

Is there anything else to try or is the card just broken?