On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 10:52:49AM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I would like to know if it's possible to use OpenBSD as RIS-Server to
> install WIndows via Network. I played around with this for 2 weeks now but
> I can't figure out how it gets done. Something is missing (maybe a
> dhcp-option?! :( )
>
> I use OpenBSD to provide kinda anything to connected PCs (remote install,
> diagnostics, secure hdd formating (0,1,0 and other standards)).
> Also I face problems to provide VistaPE (it wont realy boot, bootloader
> comes up but then the bcd seams to be corrupted in soem way).
>
> So if somebody here also administrates Widnows-Servers (I don't know that
> much about 'em :/) and knows how to emulate a RIS please tell me. I would
> love to replace the Windows Box (the Imaging-Server was already replaced).
>
> The only things I've found with google where people using MS RIS to
> install OpenBSD (scarry, or? :p) but not vice versa.

This isn't RIS, so if you're tied to that technology, ignore me, but I think
this solution is a superior way to accomplish the same goal:

I install all my Windows systems using http://unattended.sourceforge.net/.
Not only does it let me script my Windows install, but also all my
application installs as well and I can have different application sets for
different machines.  There's no need to keep it on similar hardware like
with ghost/sysprep.

All this requires is the stock dhcpd and tftpd along with samba (from ports)
from the OpenBSD system serving it.  While it's not trivial to set up, the
instructions are very clear and you shouldn't have any major trouble.

-Dan

--
"Burnished gallows set with red
 Caress the fevered, empty mind