On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 07:39:34PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> A final word.
>
> For all you backseat drivers: this is OpenBSD.
>
> Those who do the work get to call the shots.

In reading the thread, I don't get the impression that anyone is
second-guessing just that people thought it an interesting decision and
couldn't find the relevant discussion in the archives to learn how that
decision was made.

> I did get permission from my fellow developers to switch our pkg_* to
> perl once I made a strong enough argument.

It is this argument in which I think the OP was interested.

> A huge part of the argument was the actual code. I did write tools that
> work. I did write an infrastructure that still grows, stays coherent,
> and is still fairly easy to manage.
>
> These pkg_* are the first in the BSD world to actually support safe
> updates, without needing to back up most of your system first.
>
> Everything-in-perl was a deliberate design decision.
>
> What do you think ? that we grow code in a vat with eyes closed ?
>
> I've looked very closely at the neighbors, and at our distant cousins.
>
> The neighbors manage to live on a weird mix of awk/ruby/perl/python/sh/C.
> From a distance, it looks like everyone in NetBSD/FreeBSD has their own
> favorite language, and is happy to reinvent a square wheel to handle
> packages in their own language.
>
> Well, my tools were written specifically to squash that, to give people
> a cool enough interface that they would not need to reinvent the world.

It certainly fills up a disk (or it did before disks were insanely huge)
to have 5 (?) apps that you really want and they all depend on a different
language interpreter.

> You prefer python ? tough cookies. Perl and python are more or less
> equivalent. If you know one, you can write code in the other. Or you're
> less elite than you think (as a sidenote, I loathe php, yet I run a
> drupal site, and I have written numerous patches for drupal).
>
> The only important difference, for me, was that perl comes with the
> base install in OpenBSD. And we made a conscious decision to keep it so.
> That gives us *one* decent high-level script language.
>
> OS and distributions are all about editorial choices. Some have given up,
> and let the user wadle through hundreds of inane choice and a bazaar of
> half-finished toys. OpenBSD takes some strong stances. We wanted pkg_* that
> work, we got them. You don't like that they're in perl ? you can always
> go elsewhere, or, if you have some real balls, write something better in
> whatever language you want.
>
> Have fun, good luck.

I like that OpenBSD takes some strong stances.  If I have a problem to
solve, I'll look around to see if its already been solved.  If there's a
similar but not portable solution in OpenBSD, I like to look at why
OpenBSD did something in some way that may be applicable.

Doug.