Mitch, Steve:  Thanks for your responses...

You're not going to believe what the problem was.  I recently attached
a wireless keyboard to my KVM switch, apparently 4.2+ doesn't like it.
 I switched back to a wired keyboard (still going through the KVM mind
you) and the installer completed sucessfully.