Kevin,

I saw this once last week in the midst of trying some new units I purchased with 1.33 and then 1.33b. The CF was a Silicon Drive 1Gb (I don't have the exact model with me now). I could only get the box to boot by changing the CF setting in the BIOS to "secondary". There is something in the Soekris' FAQs which suggests
to try this out when you have problems with detecting the flash.

The problem you described happened once *after* this was done and it hasn't happened. I didn't really have time to dig deeper into this. I still have two more units which I can try with next week.

It also was with OpenBSD 4.3. I have a bunch of 5501 with 4.2 but with BIOSes <1.33. Most likely 1.32.

I am not giving you much. :|

Regards,

Joao Pedras

K K wrote:
Is anybody else seeing cold boot failures on Soekris Net5501-70
with comBIOS v1.33b and OpenBSD 4.3?  I asked earlier on the
soekris-tech list, received no replies.

The console shows the following, and then hangs for about five seconds:

1 Seconds to automatic boot.   Press Ctrl-P for entering Monitor.
Using drive 0, partition 3.
probing: pc0 com0 com1 pci mem[639K 511M a20=on]
disk: hd0+

The cursor sits at the '+' for several seconds, then a '*' is printed,
then error messages:

disk: hd0+*
OpenBSD/i386 BOOT 3.01
open(hd0a:/etc/boot.conf): Unknown error: code 102
boot>
booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Unknown error: code 102
 failed(102). will try /bsd
boot>
booting hd0a:/bsd: open hd0a:/bsd: Invalid argument
 failed(22). will try /bsd
Turning timeout off.
boot>

If I now type 'machine diskinfo' at the prompt, I see the following:

boot> machine diskinfo
Disk    BIOS#   Type    Cyls    Heads   Secs    Flags   Checksum
hd0     0x80    label   971     64      63      0x1     0x0
boot>

If I type 'reboot' at the prompt, then on the second try,
the disk line reads "disk: hd0+" (no *, no delay),
and in diskinfo the "Flags' entry is different, a checksum is shown,
and booting is ultimately successful!

Using drive 0, partition 3.
probing: pc0 com0 com1 pci mem[639K 511M a20=on]
disk: hd0+
OpenBSD/i386 BOOT 3.01
boot> machine diskinfo
Disk    BIOS#   Type    Cyls    Heads   Secs    Flags   Checksum
hd0     0x80    label   971     64      63      0x2     0xc7f794bc
boot>

Looking through the source code for 'boot', I think the '*' indicates
getdisklabel() failed?  I am not sure what the cause or fix would be.
Without upgrading comBIOS (to "ver. 1.33b 20080501"), the compactflash
card (Kingston 2GB) isn't detected at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin