Ooops! Lars answered to my mail. Means, I hadn't replied to misc@ but
the lazy in me just replied.

Louis V. Lambrecht wrote:

Lars NoodC)n wrote:
Jose Fragoso wrote:

Now, if a comment line ends with "\", should the next line
be also treated as comment? I noticed this behaviour and I do
not know whether or not it should work like that.

Interesting.  Good to know that.  In a small rule set it's easy to
notice, though.

I'm able to duplicate the behavior on 4.3 GENERIC#698 i386: comment
lines ending with backslash *are* including the subsequent line(s) as
part of the comment.

Regards,
-Lars

rem the backslash is used as an escape character in shell world.
Must be the very last character (before the new line).
You might test this

echo "Hello" >> hworld && echo "world!" >> hworld && cat hworld

Hello
world!

tr '\
' ' ' < hworld > hworldsep && cat hworldsep

Hello world!