Edd,

yes, I have seen this and also wondered.

my experience with centrino is:

1) Damien's drivers work better than anything linux. If you get the
connection, you have and keep it

2) But... if you want to change to another access point, cat
/var/log/messages will show messages like
    "fatal firmware error", or similar.... on iwi0! Not on ath0

So that the question is: Is the firmware in obsd different to the one
you get with those linuxies? I guess not. So, what's the problem?