Anyone? Any ideas?

IMHO this seems to be a serious issue.

-Heinrich

Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
Hi list,

when i do a

# pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf

on my diskless (nfsroot) 4.3-stable machine, the machine hangs and needs a hard reset.

The interface used for nfsroot is xl0 and i have

set skip on {lo0 xl0}

in my pf.conf. The machine boots and runs fine with the ruleset enabled, but as soon as i reload the ruleset, even without making any change, the machine hangs.

If i copy pf.conf to /tmp (which is a ramdisk) and reload the ruleset from there, it works fine.

So it *seems* that, when reloading a ruleset, there is a short moment where the packet filter blocks everything before loading the new ruleset, making it impossible to read /etc/pf.conf over NFS.

Is my assumption true? Should this be considered a bug?
I remember that this worked with an older (maybe 3.9 or 4.0) version of OpenBSD.

Kind regards,

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341