On Jul 9, 2008, at 12:19 PM, Ted Unangst wrote:

n front). something like,

nat on egress proto udp from (self) to any port 53 -> (self)

I don't think this actually accomplishes much.  It still lets poisoned
replies back in on the previous port number.

But does it allow a poisoned reply from the spoofed address?

As I understand the threat, based on the limited information:

1. Attacker sends valid user a www.badman.com link to click on
2. Resolver queries to badman.com NS from port 55555 for www.badman.com, which is a CNAME to www.ebay.com 3. New query for www.ebay.com to ebay.com NS originates from udp port 54321 4. A spoofed UDP packet from the badman.com NS using 55555 shouldn't match the ebay query, and the poisoning shouldn't work.

If I'm missing something, I welcome any corrections.

Thanks,
Steve