On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:16 AM, Jason Beaudoin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hiya!
>
> maybe I'll get flames for inquiring, but I'll try anyway:
>
> has anyone attempted (maybe with success) building a NetBSD toolchain
> on OpenBSD?
>
> I understand that this might seem senseless to some folks, but it's a
> good option for my situation. From the research I've done (archives,
> google, etc) it doesn't appear that others have tried (or documented
> trying), but I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been attempted
> before.
>
> I'd like to do this for the same reason you would cross-compile for
> another architecture; I've got to build NetBSD kernels for
> development, the system is currently running on seriously underpowered
> hardware, and I've got my more powerful (and idle) OpenBSD workstation
> sitting next to me (I'm perfectly happy with OpenBSD and not putting
> NetBSD on my workstation :)
>
>  NetBSD has a build script that facilitates building the system,
> including cross-compilation situations. Aside from make complaining
> about options for -d (about printing errors), I ran into the
> following:
>

> make: illegal argument to -d option -- e
> usage: make [-BeiknPqrSst] [-D variable] [-d flags] [-f makefile]
>            [-I directory] [-j max_jobs] [-m directory] [-V variable]
>            [NAME=value] [target ...]
> dir.o(.text+0x54e): In function `DirExpandCurly':
> : warning: strcpy() is almost always misused, please use strlcpy()
> /bin/sh: syntax error: `(' unexpected
>
> ERROR: raw_getmakevar TOOLDIR: /tmp/nbbuild22761/nbmake failed
> *** BUILD ABORTED ***
>

> in this case, is the strcpy() string warning killing the build
> process? If so, can it be suppressed for the build? Should I hack the
> build script to use gmake?

The warning never kills the process. That warning is generated by
OpenBSD's modified ld(1). It looks like the error is in a shellscript
(perhaps `nbmake`?). Probably something is getting generated wrong
because OpenBSD doesn't work the way NetBSD's tools expect, but it's
hard to say any more.

-Nick