Nuno MagalhC#es escreveu:
>> Your DNS is setup wrong.
>>
> Too vague.
>

>> Try setting "UseDNS no" on the server in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
>>
> That solved the slowness, thanks. I tried -HUP ing the sshd processes
> but that didn't solve it at once (it only killed my connections fo
> course); reboting the machine did, now it logs in fast. Is there
> another way that doesn't involve rebooting or did i do something
> wrong?
>

>> What happens if you use a target path
>> scp -vr ~/folder/folder/ 192.168.2.80:/path/path
>>
> You mean an absolute path? Like /home/user/folder or something? No
> effect, same results (i.e. no transfer is done). I tried both in the
> source and in the destination.
>

>> What does your UseDNS line look like?
>>
> It was comented out, now is "UseDNS no" according to Michael
> Lechtermann's suggestion.
>

>> check if you can execute the scp binary on both machines
>>
> As i said, i can.
>

>> some checks on permisssions on both hosts
>>
> Everything's normal.
>

>> try to see if the subsystem sftp-server is enable on the ssh server,
>>
> It was, i comented it out.
> I've installed and tried to configure vsftpd without success but it's
> not running (neither by default).
>
> These are both local machines, why would DNS be required? I added the
> IP adress to the /etc/hosts file but i'm not sure if i did it right
> and i'm using DHCP so that wouldn't be a permanent solution.
>
> I'm probably missing something really simple...

I think that someone forgot to reply-to all and some messages went in
private. Also, copying and pasting messages of various persons to answer
them all in one mail isn't polite. DNS is the heart of everything today.
Why do you think that everybody went nuts when a supposedly dns
vulnerability appeared? And, when IPv6 become a standard (i hope it will
be soon), do you expect to remember a 128-bit address? DNS *is* very
important. And, as you are seeing, it is important even on a local net.
I do have a little guess that might be right. I had some problems on
older versions of ubuntu with GSSAPI authentication. I had to comment it
out on the ssh_config file. You can do this in /etc/ssh/ssh_config.
Check if you have this line:

    GSSAPIAuthentication yes

If it is yes (which isn't the ssh default), change it to no, then try again.

My regards,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini
http://lock.razzolini.adm.br