Ok so I have done some tests.

Was fiddling a little bit with wep/no wep options on my router, lots of
$ sudo sh /etc/netstart on the client ... Then got the same fatal errors plus a new error :

ifconfig: SIOCS80211CHANNEL: invalid argument

Oki so now looks like you don't like the channel I am using (channel 3).

$ sudo ifconfig wpi0 chan 3
ifconfig: SIOCS80211CHANNEL: invalid argument
$ sudo ifconfig wpi0 chan 4
Ok it likes chan 4 ...
$ sudo ifconfig wpi0 chan 3
$ echo $?
0
Ok no problems with chan 3 anymore.

After some more fiddling I think I found a different behavior with wep keys handling in 4.4 (or maybe my PC is just fucked up, or myself ;) ).

I was actually using several wep keys on my router (Linksys WRT54G shit)
So in order to work on 4.3 I had to use this notation according to man(8)ifconfig :

n:k1,k2,k3,k4 where n specifies which key to use and k1 through k4 the keys (passwords).

On my router I had the 3rd key in use so my /etc/hostname.wpi0 file looked like that :

dhcp NONE NONE mode 11g chan 3 nwid myid nkey 3:password,P455W0RD,bla,blabla

Which did not work anymore with 4.4.

So what I have found is if you always keep n=1 in 4.4, whether you use n=2 or n=3 on the router ... It always works ...

Can someone confirm that or am I crazy ? ( In the latter case I won't bother you anymore ;) ).

Thank you.